April 2009 - The Good News!
- Tips for the Times
- The Time is NOW
- One Step Forward
- What is the Good News in your life?
- Resources (links, books, articles, multi-media,
There is so much negative press these days that we want to counteract that by
focusing on the good news. And, there is lots of it if we are only willing
to see it.
Some of the most common suggestions we hear from successful people are:
- Stay away from negative people.
- Keep your thoughts positive at all times.
- Keep your eyes, your mind and your heart focused on your own goals, no
matter what happens.
- Look for the blessings in all situations.
- Be grateful.
There are incredible opportunities right now within our country and world
situations. New businesses are flourishing. Old businesses are being
transformed and reborn. Some businesses that were sick, are wrapping up
their affairs so that their finish can fertilize new endeavors.
I recently read an article titled "Sailors donít learn to sail on calm
seas." That is a reminder that the difficult challenges are what make
us strong, not the casual sail on a calm ocean.
People are finding many opportunities to fix areas that have needed attention
for a very long time and coming up with creative ways of dealing with
them. Consultants that help people and businesses do their work more
efficiently, more effectively or more productively are in great demand.
Executives who in the past had no interest in what they were spending for
travel, printing, phones, Blackberries, "do-dads" and other trinkets
of corporate life are becoming more interested in looking at what they are doing
and what they are paying for products and services.
Management teams who never before became involved in the day-to-day work of
their business are getting involved again and learning just what goes on.
Thatís a very good thing!
People who have been wasting money, not paying attention to good business
practices or spending their time on the wrong things are now having some light
shined on them. They will have to adjust to spend their energy on the
right things, not the wrong things. That is very exciting!
Our culture and our society are taking note of where the old ways are not
working any more. Clearly, our financial industry is a big focus right
now. Rampant greed in the past might have been "business as
usual." In todayís worldview, that is no longer acceptable and the people
are making their feelings known.
Out of our current challenges will come a much stronger structure and better ways of doing business. What an exciting and vibrant time
to be alive!
As a manager, executive, business owner or professional person, what can you
do? Here are a few tips:
- Learn to see things differently. Consciously, learn to shift your
mind from to "Oh, no" to "Isnít this wonderful!!"
- Instead of struggling to "think outside the box," just try to
shift your box (your beliefs, your assumptions, your information, your
goals, etc.) just a little bit. Turn the box sideways or upside down
or inside out or stand it on a corner ó do something
that will give you a slightly different perspective. Maybe, do
your meeting at a local ice cream parlor instead of the board room for
once. Or, if you always sit in the same chair in meetings, sit
on a different side of the room ó something
that will give you a different perspective on whatever you are working
- Clean out your closets. Clean out your garage. Clean out your
office files. As you throw things away, remind yourself that you are
making space for your new goals, your new dreams, your new way of
- Rearrange your furniture at home. Move your office around. As
you move things around, remind yourself that you are making positive changes
for your future.
- Buy some new clothes. Wear something different. Drive a
different way. Do it consciously, and remind yourself that YOU are
changing for the better, therefore, your future is changing for the
- Find wonderful opportunities within every tough situation you face.
Make a list of what is good about each tough situation. When you think
youíve exhausted your ability to find good out of the tough situation, you
have just started. Stretch yourself to find 10 more positive things
about the situation.
- Look at how you spend your time and adjust so that you spend your time on
those things that produce the best results for you.
- Look around to see what needs fixing ó in your own business or in the
world. If you were in charge, how would you fix it? Ask yourself
if there is a business opportunity for you there if YOU could solve that
- Look at your values and your own priorities. What is really, really
important to you? Is that where you are spending the majority of your
energy? If not, how can you adjust your time, your schedule, your
business, your job or your life to do what IS important to you?
- Be grateful every day for what you have Ė be grateful in the morning and
every evening before you go to bed, recap all the good things that happened
to you that day. Go to bed feeling great and looking forward to
another night of good rest. Wake up every morning with enthusiasm for
the great things that are going to happen for you today.
- See everything that happens to you as an opportunity to learn something
new or a way to improve yourself and/or your company.
- See everyone you meet as a teacher. What can you learn from them?
- See every situation as a stepping-stone to something much greater for you.
- See your employees as wonderful people who love to do their very best
every single day. Praise them for what they do and the contributions
they make every single day.
- Give time and energy to what makes you feel good.
- Help someone else
in what ever way you can ó volunteer work, helping someone cope with
something, sharing your wisdom with someone who is interested, give money or
time or energy to good causes, or whatever ways feel right for you.
- Keep yourself surrounded by visions or visuals of what is important to
you. I keep photos of my children and grandchildren in my office and
at home. I have beautiful pictures and reminders of places where Iíve
traveled around my home. Where ever I look, I see something special to
me. No matter what happens, looking into the eyes of a baby or a loved
one, or a looking at a scene that triggers fond memories helps me to quickly
transform any unexpected situation into something positive.
- If something isnít working out the way you want it to or you feel like
you are struggling to make something happen, step back and ask, "Is
there an easier way to get through this?" Find the easy way and
stop struggling so hard.
- Go back to #1 above.
Some of you may be thinking that your situation isnít so good right now or you are not able to do those things. No matter what is going on in your
life, how can you stay positive in the reality of your situation? These
tips are especially important for those who might have been laid off from a job
recently or who have other things that worry them.
- Get yourself involved in something that makes your heart sing. It
can be something big or something little. Remember, what you focus on
- Listen to Earl Nightingale explain The Greatest Secret (in the media
section of this article)
- Look for ways you can solve the day-to-day problems that you see around
- Do volunteer work.
- Join job clubs.
- Take a part-time job or temporary job.
- Try something new.
- Be grateful for a time-out from your treadmill life that gives you more
time for your family and your own interests.
- Sleep late occasionally and relish the experience.
- Walk in the park.
- Plant a garden - maybe even a community garden.
- Plant flowers and enjoy watching them bloom.
- Be outdoors and let Mother Nature nurture your soul.
- Count your blessings every morning and every evening.
- Donít watch the general news.
- Do what inspires you regularly.
- Get the support of friends.
- Get involved in a brainstorming group.
- Keep your mind, your soul and your body healthy.
- Laugh every single day. If you canít find a reason to laugh, look
in the mirror.
- Listen to inspiring music. Read inspiring poetry or stories.
Listen to inspiring people. Watch inspiring movies.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Stay away from anything and anyone that promotes blame, negativity,
sarcasm, cynicism or violence.
- Take time to be in the present moment Ė not in the past reliving your
old "stuff" or worrying about the future creating fear where they
should be hope.
- Remind yourself that you are safe right now and focus all your attention
just being where you are, with gratitude.
- Look in your closets or your drawers or your garage. See what is
there that can be used to help you now. See if there are things you
can sell to bring in more income. See if you can find new uses for old
things. Or, if something is not useful to you, give it to someone who
can use it, recycle it or throw it away.
- Trade services with your friends instead of buying something you can't
afford. Share your gifts and talents with friends and
- Go back to #1.
- For all of you who have been waiting for times to
change, that time is NOW.
- For all of you who have been waiting for things
to get better, that time is NOW.
- For all of you who have wished you could have
more control over your life, that time is NOW.
- For all of you who have wished for a better
future, that time is NOW.
In order for the "old ways" to change to the "new ways,"
structures and habits have to break down in order to be restructured or
redesigned or reborn into the new ways. That is part of what is happening
now in our society, in our country and in our world. Things are
changing. That is the good news!
When things are changing and when there is chaos, that is the time when
creativity is most able to burst forth to bring us new ways of being, new ways
of doing business, new ways of relating to each other, new ways of working
together. It is the time when we can re-create our future in a different
In order to create something, we must transform raw materials into something
new. By transforming raw materials, we are destroying what they were in
order to make something new. That is the good news!
Our financial system is falling apart all around us. In order for it to
change, it has to break apart and be restructured into something that works
better for everyone, not just for the people who want to take all they can from
everyone else. That breaking down and falling apart is good. A good
friend and teacher, Carole Dorť used to say, "When things are falling
apart, they are falling together" That is the good news!
Yes, there are some people who say they want things to change and then they
canít let go of the old ways to take the next step forward. This is the
time to have faith and take the next step toward the future you want to create
- If you have a new business project idea, take a step forward on
- If you have a new professional goal, take a step forward on it.
- If you have a new personal goal, take a step forward on it.
- Whatever you want for your own future, take a step forward on it.
- Whatever you want for your business or your employees, take a step forward
If many people did that, we would be out of our current recession before
anyone knew what happened. Things can change when we want them to
change. Thatís the good news!
The outrage unleashed about the AIG executive bonuses is a good thing.
It means people are moving from being stuck, depressed, frozen, in shock about
the recession and are moving to expression and action. This may be the
modern day version of the Boston Tea Party, when average people say very
clearly, "Weíve had enough" and demand accountability and change in
"business as usual" for the future. Thatís the good news!
are seeing many other signs that we are making forward progress again - from the
construction industry to durable goods orders to the stock market to our local
businesses. Big changes happen one step at a time and we have a
long way to go to solve all of society's issues. If everything was
perfect, why would we be here? Where can you take a step forward
today? What can you do to make something better today? The
world is filled with opportunities for each person to use their talents in
positive ways. Thatís the good news!
Take some time to think about where you are and what is good in your
life. Weíve just experienced the Spring Equinox when the days start to
grow longer and the energy shifts to Spring ó a time of growth and
Did you feel the shift? Can you feel the higher energy all around
you? Did you notice a very slight shift in the news media in that they are
starting to cover more positive stories? Have you heard ó as we
have recently ó that the construction industry is starting to build again,
that business has picked up a little bit? Other positive signs are showing
up everywhere. Some people believe weíve hit
the bottom of the current recession. Look for the good news in your
local area, in your business, in your own life and in the world at large.
It's there just wanting for someone to pay attention to it. That's the
The hope of the future is right
here, right now. What we do today determines how our future
manifests tomorrow. Thatís the good news!
I knew I was destined to succeed and I kept focused on that belief.
Iím very tenacious ... and I donít give up.
. . .
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan ĎPress Oní has solved and always will solve the problems of the
. . . Calvin Coolidge
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their
minds to be."
. . . Abraham Lincoln
Change your thinking, change your life
. . . Ernest Holmes
Earl Nightingale says, "We become what
we think about all day long." (link to the entire audio recording in
the multi-media section).
The Strangest Secret:
We get a small commission for purchases made via links to Amazon.
Related newsletter articles:
March 2008 - Print Management - A
"Goldmine of Opportunity"
March, 1997 -- Creativity at Work
2000 - Taking Initiative at Work
2007 - Visioning for the Future
2006 - Leadership Vision
April 1998 -
Vision: Expanding Your Thinking
2001 - The Essence of Leadership
July 1998 -
Developing and Using Intuition
-- Managers and Leaders
March 2001 -
Finding the Right Job
2001 - Hiring the Right People
About our resource
links: We do not endorse or agree with all the beliefs in
these links. We do keep an open mind about different viewpoints and
respect the ability of our readers to decide for themselves what is useful.
If you have comments about this month's topic, please let us know or take our
newsletter survey. If you would like
to receive free notices of the new monthly topic, please sign up for our mailing
Page updated: October 16, 2023
for Management Excellence, Copyright
© 1980-2008 All rights reserved
This page is http://www.itstime.com/apr2009.htm