May 2013 - The Power of Possibility
- Tips for expanding your thinking
Resources (links, books, articles, the
Power of Possibility
All the great teachers have taught us about the power of our mind to create
Walt Disney and Della Reese
Youll see it when you believe it Dr. Wayne Dyer
Think and grow rich Napoleon Hill
Love is the highest truth, truth is the highest good Michael
Change your thinking, change your life Dr. Ernest Holmes
The kingdom of God is within you Jesus
Do good, avoid evil and purify the heart Buddha
All men and women are brothers and sisters Muhammad
The secret to life is within you Gnosticism
- If you can dream it, you can do it
What is it that keeps us from hearing the words and understanding the
universal message that we can be happy, that we create our own reality and that
we are blessed with all things possible?
It is up to US to choose what we want to experience in our life
it is up to us to choose whether to be happy or whether to be
sad or whether to be fearful or whether to be angry.
It is truly the secret of the universe WE control our
mind. No one else controls our mind, only we control our mind.
Others may influence us. It is up to us how we use that influence for our
benefit or not.
We were created with the ability to choose how to live our life. We
spend so much time as a child learning how to function in our society and
depending on the beliefs of our parents and teachers, we may be think that we do
NOT control our reality. As we get older, we can break free of that
imprinting and learn how to live our own life the way we want to live it, not as
someone else wants us to live it.
This is the process of becoming an adult not at age 18 or 21 as our laws
provide. We become adults between the ages of 35-45 when we have lived
enough of life and have enough experience to make good choices about the rest of
If we are fortunate, we had parents who gave us positive messages to
remember, messages that we can use to expand our horizons and help us accomplish
whatever we can imagine. If we are not so fortunate, we have to un-learn
messages of fear or anger or lack or limitation. Regardless, each person
has their own life plan and their own individual struggles to growth through
childhood into a competent adult who can contribute to the betterment of our own
world and the larger world around us.
Some children never grow up. Some children dont become competent
adults. That is part of what makes up the wonderful pattern of our world
variety and many different types of people and experience.
Why would we need to have compassion if everyone was happy and well?
Some people need help, therefore, we have the opportunity to help and to feel
Some people need teaching, therefore, leaders have the opportunity to teach
and to coach and to develop.
Where ever we are is where ever we are. We each have unique gifts and
talents that blend together into a delightful tapestry of the variety of
humanity on our planet. We have weaknesses and give others a chance to
help us. We have strengths and have an opportunity to help others.
It is like a beautifully scripted world that makes sense when we can stand back
from it and see a great perspective than our own little troubles of the day.
So this year, we started out with the theme DREAM BIG!! That theme
continues this month as we focus on how to open ourselves to all that is
If you are willing to become more than you are already or ready to have more
than you already have, try a few simple exercises:
- Find a quiet comfortable place and sit with your feet on the floor, shoes
off. Relax your body into your chair and take several deep breaths,
expelling any stress or worry as you breathe out.
- Allow your mind to quiet and your heart to open.
- Imagine that you are an oak tree connect your energy to the Earth and
imagine roots going deep down in to the Earth to hold you steady.
- See the branches of our oak tree growing branches and filling with
leaves. Those branches represent the major choices in your life. The
leaves represent the many events along that path you decided to take.
- Are you happy with your choices so far? If you are, let those
branches grow longer and let the leaves continue to grow more along those
- If you would like to make changes in your life, imagine that you are
growing brand new branches with your new choices and see those branches
growing longer and filled with many beautiful leaves as you choices blossom.
- If there are areas of your life that don't work for you, imagine that you
are trimming off those branches, dead wood or leaves that no longer serve
- You may want to image birds or animals attracted to your "tree"
that you can shelter and provide a home for. You may want to imagine
other trees around you representing all the others in your life who help you
develop into a family forest.
- Feel the energy of your heart and your mind expanding as you do this
exercise. See your own energetic field expanding to fill the room,
fill the neighborhood and continue to expand outward eventually, filling
the entire world. Know that you are so much more than your little body.
- Be grateful for all that is and all that is to come as you allow yourself
to expand your vision.
You can do this exercise in a few minutes or you can work with it as long as
it takes for you to feel expansive and powerful. Each time you do, you are
making a new imprint on your own life that will become stronger than the one you
grew up if you are willing to do it.
Are you willing to give up anger? Are you willing to give up
fear? Are you willing to give up your own self-imposed limits? Are
you willing to give up blame? Are you willing to give up mediocrity?
Whatever you want in your life, YOU can
imagine it and grow it, just as you imagined the tree. YOU
have the ability to create the future of your life in almost any
way you can dream it.
Another part of this secret is to become what you want to get.
If you want more money, be more generous.
If you want more love, be more loving.
If you want more friends, be a friend.
You are a like a magnet you attract to you what you are. If you are
miserable, you attract more misery. If you are angry or violent, you
attract more anger and violence. If you are rich, you attract more riches,
etc. And, you have the power to change your life, if that is what you want
YOU have the power to do it.
THAT is the message of all the great teachers: YOU
have the power to do it.
- Infinite Possibilities: The Art of Living Your Dreams. Mike
Dooley. Atria Books/Beyond Words, 2010. ISBN
- Think and Grow Rich. Napoleon Hill. Tribeca,
- You'll See It When You Believe It: The Way to Your Personal Transformation.
Wayne Dyer. William Morrow, 2001. ISBN
- The Art of Possibility: Transforming Professional and Personal Life.
Rosamund Stone Zander, Benjamin Zander. Penguin Books, 2002. ISBN
- If It's Going to Be, It's up to Me: The Eight Proven Principles of Possibility Thinking.
Robert H. Schuller. HarperOne, 1998. ISBN:
- How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life.
John C Maxwell. Center Street, 2009. ISBN
- How to Change Your Life: An Inspirational, Life-Changing Classic from the Ernest Holmes Library.
Ernest Holmes. HCI, 1999. ISBN
- The Power of Postive Thinking. Norman Vincent Peale. Ishi
Press, 2011. ISBN
- 7 Personality Types: Discover Your True Role in Achieving Success and
Happiness. Elizabeth Puttick, PhD. Hay House, 2009.
US version: ISBN-10:
1401924565 ISBN-13: 978-1401924560 (UK & Australia
- The Personality Puzzle: Solving the Mystery of Who You Are. Jose Stevens, JP Van
Hulle. Pivotal Resources; (December 1990) ASIN: 0942663063
- The Power Path: The Shaman's Way to Success in Business and Life.
Jose Stevens. New World Library, 2002. ISBN: 1577312171
- The 7 Aspects of Sisterhood: Empowering Women Through Self-Discovery.
Debra Gawrych. Common Boundaries Consulting &
Communications; (September 2002)
- Transforming Your Dragons: Turning Personality Fear Patterns into Personal Power.
Jose Stevens. Bear & Co; (July 1994) ISBN: 1879181177
- Income Without a Job: Living Well Without a Paycheck. Michael
Jay Anthony, Barbara J. Taylor. Lulu.com,
978-0-557-00377-8. Website: www.income-without-a-job.com.
Tap into your own creativity and use your full potential. Learn
how to see opportunities that others miss.
Related newsletter article:
2009 - The Good News
2006 - The Power of Thought
2007 - The Law of Attraction at Work
April 2011 - Remembering What's Important
February 2013 ~ The Nature of Personal Power
May 2011 - Ending the Toxic Two-Step of Negativity
December 2010 - Optimism
November 2003 - Attitude is Everything
July 2009 -
Life Roles in the Workplace
- Write it on your heart that every day is
the best day in the year. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
day is what you make it! So why not make it a great one? ~ Steve Schulte
- The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his
future by merely changing his attitude. ~ Oprah Winfrey
- Thoughts Become Things ... Choose The Good Ones! ~ Mike Dooley
- Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or
happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~
- If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change
the way you think about it. ~ Mary Engelbreit
- Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at
least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we
didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all
be thankful. ~ Buddha
- I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains.
~ Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl
- A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any
wonder drug. ~ Patricia Neal
- The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter
his life by altering his attitudes. ~ William James
About our resource
links: We do not endorse or agree with all the beliefs in
these links. We do keep an open mind about different viewpoints and
respect the ability of our readers to decide for themselves what is useful.
If you have comments about this month's topic, please let us know or take our
newsletter survey. If you would like
to receive free notices of the new monthly topic, please sign up for our mailing
Page updated: May 11, 2023
for Management Excellence, Copyright
© 1980-2013 All rights reserved
This page is http://www.itstime.com/may2013.htm